Thursday, September 18, 2008

Of Men and Ships


I read an amazing quote you might enjoy... It seems true in my life about God.

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."
- Antoine de Saint Exupery

How often I find myself in this old place again. I gather the materials I think I need, I divide up what it will take to make it happen, then I put expectations and give myself orders. Then I put the ship in the water and it sinks....

Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.... I think I must lose sight of God at times in this process of my life, and put expectations on myself which he does not have for me. He has a ship for me. And he desires me to build it. But first he desires me to yearn for the vast and endless sea which is who he is. Sometimes I stand on the cliffs facing the vast ocean and I stare and dream. Other times I focus so much on the cliffs I become fearful and don't trust that God has a plan to get to the water. So I lose focus of the sea and it takes friends to remind me where my focus needs to be. Thanks Guys!

5 comments:

Eric Podtetenieff said...

what a great quote! how easy it is to get busy and not even know why. keep asking, seeking, knocking and GOD will give HIMSELF....eric

Anonymous said...

Awesome quote and great thoughts Aaron, thanks!

Unknown said...

Dude, been one of my favorite quotes for months...LOVED hangin the other morning...you & Sarah are awesome, I love you guys

Wyatt & Weston's Mommy said...

I found your blog! It was good to see you guys again :) -Tricia Kibler

Pearcia LaPointe said...

Just wanted to say thanks for your heart! Last night's Life Group was great. I love that you are courageous enough to speak what is on your heart (like tithing or spending time with God) and aren't worried about sticking to a "plan". Keep letting God lead - it's been great.

Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH for blessing Eric and I with the gift. It's amazing how God orchestrates His people to work together perfectly... if we can only focus on the sea and trust him. :) Thanks.
Pearcia and the guys