Saturday, September 6, 2008

Who Can Say It Better Than Rocky

I never thought that God would give me a heart for a kid in a gang...but he has. I never thought God would give me a heart for kids who cant seem to make one right decision but he has. I never believed that God would give me the desire to love people who have forgotten the reason why they are living but he has. I had a hard time believing that God could change a hard hearted man but it is happening in front of my eyes. I always professed that God had given me a heart for people but I never really thought it would look like this ...but it does. God is putting the people of Rocky in my path...the people, kids, and adults who have been beaten to their knees, who have experienced that the world can be an ugly, nasty place but who need to be reminded to get back up and that there is hope.
Recently at my school we have been dealing with many Gang issues and it is ugly. A few kids have been knocked off their feet while trying to do the right thing and are losing the desire to get back up...they in their weakness see the only way out as enacting violence. But who can say it better than Rocky.. "it aint about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, its about how much you can take and keep moving forward!"
You see- God is in this situation that I find myself in the middle of. I see God moving in this kid with a violent past who is trying to change. I see God in the kids who desire violence and have known nothing but violence. I see God because I now speak out of experience and not theory that God has given me a heart for people... people who are different than me, and maybe you. God's heart is for us all. I think he sees the down and out kids, the gang kids, the kids who hope for a better future and he ignites in us moments where we face a crossroads of decision...are we going to move forward or live in lie that our ability to enact violence or maintain control is even real. God is showing me how shallow my heart has been towards certain people and it knocked me down...but with God at my side I remember "it aint about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, its about how much you can take and keep moving forward!"

2 comments:

idiot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordana said...

Hey Aaron, thank you for sharing your heart on this blog. Have you ever heard that joke about teachers? It goes something like, "Those that can, do. Those that can't...teach". Have you heard this one? It really boils my blood because teaching is a job that requires over 100% commitment, focus, and heart. I see Colter, putting in 10+ hours a day, coming home exhausted, and despite the frustration with admin, other teachers, student behaviors and sts lack of motivation. And he gets up the next morning to do it all again: because he loves these kids and the tiniest moments of success, like a kid who said he hated reading couldn't put the book down the other day-makes it worth it. You and Colter are great teachers because you see God in these kids. Thank you Aaron for your dedication, commitment, and love for these kids. I recognize it is a daily sacrifice (I barely see Colter for a few hours each evening) and thank you for your hard work. God bless you for loving these kids on the fringe. -jordana